Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fifteen Minutes of Fame


Photo credit to Mohamed Mambo from the Daily News. Dr. Shukuru Kawambwa, the Minister for Education and Vocational Training, admiring the pin I wore when I was officially sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer.


The past week has triggered a whirlwind of emotions.  There are so many things that I could write about – my beautiful home and school in the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, my witty students, and the
beginnings of my new garden – but for now, I’ll focus on first things first.


On Wednesday, September 17, my class of sixty-one volunteers filed neatly into the American Embassy in Dar es Salaam.  We looked like a completely new group – pressed suits and fancy patterned dresses, moustaches clipped away and sparkling tresses.  Standing up to lead the national anthems (and landing in a gigantic photo in the national newspaper the following day), I felt tangible ripples of pride fall across the crowd.  It really did feel like the people of two nations were coming together, beginning a partnership that would last two years, and would relationships that will last a lifetime.  The day was exuberantly bright, and red, white and blue draped tents cloaked all of our guests.  The table of honor seated Mark Childress, the American ambassador to Tanzania, Dr. Shukuru Kawambwa, the Tanzanian Minister of Education, and Dr. Elizabeth O’Malley, our own Peace Corps Tanzania Director.  My class performed the “cups” song from Pitch Perfect – re-written to describe our experiences in Tanzania so far, with singing, dancing, and hand-made props.  Two members of our class delivered an eloquent and articulate speech – in both English and Kiswahili – much to the delight of the Tanzanians in the audience.

Close to the end of the ceremony, we took an oath, led by the ambassador, that officially confirmed us as Peace Corps Volunteers. After all the speeches and festivities, I think that all the volunteers felt for the first time that we were on the brink of change; about to depart on a once-in-a-lifetime journey.

A reporter from the Daily News, Tanzania’s English newspaper, began talking to me extensively early in the ceremony, and seemed to be snapping photos of me wherever I looked.  At one point, he raced me over to the Minister of Education, Dr. Shukuru Kawambwa, and took dozens of photos as I introduced myself.  The reporter told me that he wanted to write an article about women in science, and I agreed to answer a few of his questions.  I expected a small mention in an article about the newest Peace Corps Volunteers, but the article that came out today was anything but.  This afternoon, I got a message saying that my photo was on the front page of “Woman” Magazine, the insert to the Daily News.  The article, entitled, “Carol Noronha: Determined to help schoolgirls excel in science,” apparently, filled two pages worth of my interview and photos.  My village is far away from a town where I can buy the newspaper, but here is the online version if you’d like to see:


http://touch.dailynews.co.tz/index.php/features/36393-carol-noronha-determined-to-help-schoolgirls-excel-in-science

It is said that everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame – and mine came on a really momentous day.  It was the beginning of a journey; often called the “toughest job you’ll ever love.”  I expect this to be one of the most fulfilling as well as challenging, often comical, and altogether crazy experiences of my life.  Still, the best part will be embracing the parts that I cannot foresee.  Thank you for riding the roller coaster with me – and for sharing in this journey.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ---------------------------------------------------------

    My beautiful niece ... inside and out :-)

    -- CLiFF3noronha@GMAiL.com
    Friday, September 26, 2014 -- 2:26 AM -- usa ET

    ---------------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete