Sunday, August 10, 2014

Eid-al-Fitr and other wonderful things

Watching the news, in any country, is usually a sure-fire way to become disheartened.  In my host family, we watch BBC News: Focus on Africa almost every night.  Above all, it is the most depressing news hour that I’ve seen.  Scenes of disasters in Gaza constantly pepper the screen, and since the rapid Kiswahili that the news anchors speak is difficult for me to understand, I just stare open-mouthed at the panning photographs.  Terrorist attacks in Algeria, Ethiopia, and across the continent are covered every night – and it seems like the terrible happenings in our neighbor, Kenya – are too common to report.  In a world where death is a glorified spectacle, it seems like stories don’t make the news unless lives are lost.  The worst part is, these news stories cover crimes that are committed in the name of God – one brother of faith against another.
My village is called Masuguru, and it’s a small community just outside of the town of Korogwe.  In Masuguru, Christians and Muslims live in harmony.  In fact, even in my house, Christians and Muslims live in harmony.  My family is part of the local Anglican church, but since we are quite well off, we have two girls staying with us from other families.  I call them both “dada,” or sister, and it took me almost two weeks to learn that they were not the biological daughters of my host family.  Both girls are Muslim.  One, Amina, is older, and she went home for the week to celebrate Eid with her family.  The youngest, Rehema, stayed home.  In the morning, I saw her off to the masjid (and came extremely close to skipping my morning training session and experiencing the mosque with her!).  She was bubbly and excited for the feasting and celebrations to come.  I was allowed to leave my training early in honor of Eid, and I raced home to help with the holiday preparations.  I remember waking up around 4:30 am that morning to the sound of chickens screaming bloody murder – and now I knew why.  My Baba had killed a chicken, and it was merrily boiling in a soup on the jiko, a charcoal stove.  I chopped onions and smashed garlic until my hands were raw.  My Christian family ate pulao, the traditional Tanzanian Eid dish, in honor of my Muslim host sister.  After lunch, we visited some of our Muslim neighbors, bringing sweets to the children, and filling our stomachs even more.  Like many days in Korogowe, Eid was marked by sudden downpours that left us stranded in one home for a while!  While trudging through the mud on the way home, we passed the Mamba Club, a facility next door to our compound.  Rehema had told me a few days before how excited she was for the Eid party at the Mamba Club.  Sure enough, when dusk fell,  files of little girls, ornamented in lace and pastel dresses and with intricate hairstyles, rushed to line up at the alligator’s mouth entrance to Mamba Club.
When religious harmony is natural and effortless in a community like Masuguru, it is difficult to comprehend why so many lives are lost in our world because of religious differences.  These religious crusades seem like they belong in a different millennium.  Hopefully, our world will soon realize that we have moved too far as a society to take lives in the name of God, and Masuguru village can be just one example of the new, modern view of harmony.  In my life, as well as Masuguru village, faith is the most important gift.  It takes just a pinch of tolerance to share faith respectfully, and we are praying that the world realizes this soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment