Saturday, August 30, 2014

In A-Rush-a to get to site!

At the Site Announcement Ceremony
Site announcement day in Peace Corps is usually precluded by many sleepless nights. For me, the insomnia came after site announcements!

Our much-anticipated ceremony began after lunch on Wednesday. I followed the sound of African drums in to a clearing in which our ceremony would be held. A traditional dance troupe was in full swing, and some other volunteers and I joined them in celebrating the day with dance. Ribbons of sweat poured down my body - it was another sweltering "spring" day in Korogwe.

When the time finally came for the site reveals, our oldest volunteer was asked to approach the large Tanzanian map with push pins placed in almost every region. She uncovered one photo, introducing one volunteer to his home for the next two years. One by one, all of the faces on the map were uncovered. I waited many long minutes while the three regions I had "bid" for were filled with faces other than my own. Fifty-nine other names were read before mine (number 60 out of 61) was finally called. I had been placed in Arusha, a region I knew absolutely nothing about other than the Arusha bombings.

After my initial surprise and trepidation, and two extremely sleepless nights, I've truly become excited about my placement. My home is described by nearby volunteers as "in the bush" - and that means I have no running water or electricity. These will be huge adjustments for me, but I look forward to accepting the challenge! I should be able to overlook the famous Ngorongoro Crater National Park from my window, which means elephants, lions, and other animals will be my daily entertainment.

I will join 8 Tanzanian teachers at Kainam Rhotia Secondary School, where there are about 250 students currently.

The three other volunteers in the Arusha region and I are already on our way to our region: a crowded, "culturally enriching" bus ride. Our 2-day route will take us through the Kilimanjaro region.

I have to admit that I'm a bundle of nerves and excitement for the week ahead. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment