Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hungry to Learn

Maybe this is not enough writing for a full post, because I can’t quite put words to it.  But here goes:
Today, I stayed after classes at my school to create a teaching aid about human immunity for my classroom.  As I was winding down my work, a group of five girls peered in the door, laughing and giggling through shy smiles.  From their rapid Kiswahili, I could make out that their “tuition” teacher was not there to teach them.  I invited them into my classroom, and they gathered around me as I finished cutting and sticking pieces of colored paper.  Soon, we were engaged in a full-on lesson.  We created diagrams and flow charts together about conservation of energy and the balance of life.  When I read 6:00 pm (in Tanzanian time, 12:00 jioni!) on my watch, the girls were still earnest with their questions.  After a few moments, I had to all but force them to leave the school grounds.
I arrived home, and remembered that I had promised another student that I would help him tonight.  His name is Augustino, and you may have read about him before on my blog!  Hardly 40 minutes later, he raced into our yard on his bike.  He needed help on the human body systems for his important Form II exam – the government exam on which his continuance in school hinged – and takes every opportunity to get help from me.  Augustino and I made colorful outlines and diagrams until well past 9 pm, when we realized we were both famished.
In the U.S., it is becoming increasingly rare to find students who crave learning.  But students who will stay at school until dusk to spend time with a teacher?  Students who will spend their entire evening poring over their books with a teacher?  These kids are special, and maybe unique to Tanzania.  There is absolutely nothing as fulfilling for a teacher than helping children hungry to learn.


A view of our classroom board just after the girls left!



1 comment: